The client family runs an organic kiwi farm of 4 hectares in the eastern part of Nepal at 2400 m above sea level, on steep slopes and an 8 hours drive away from the capital Kathmandu. Planting of the kiwi gardens began in 2017. A heavy investment of finance and labour was made. Quantity and quality of the harvests achieved so far have not been satisfactory.
The marketing and sale of the kiwi fruits in Kathmandu proves to be more difficult than expected.
- To give advice on all aspects of organic kiwi fruit production: training system, winter- and summer pruning, thinning, fertilizing, irrigation, plant health, optimal harvest parameters
- To develop and strengthen marketing and sales activities in Kathmandu
- The kiwi buisness is yet to become economically viable for the family, who invested a lot of personal engagement and finances for it. So, the assignment was and still is a serious issue.
- On the cultivation side many topics could be addressed and advice be given. Implementation was started in the areas of soil analyses and fertilizing, improvement of irrigation system, introduction of light mechanisation to facilitate weeding, a heavy work mainly done by women.
- On the marketing and sales side first steps were untertaken for organic certification, a new labeling was decided “Himalayan organic kiwis” and standards for a planned new cold store discussed.